About Zindagi Trust
Zindagi Trust works on improving the quality of education available to the average Pakistani child through pilot projects in school reform and policy advocacy. It has transformed two government schools in Karachi into model institutions and used the success of its work there to impact thousands of government schools through policy changes in school governance, child protection, etc.
The Trusts’ vision for a successful school is one that produces well-rounded citizens, not just students who score A’s. To this end, it focuses on making classroom learning fun but also on developing strong co-curricular programs and on opening minds to new life and career choices. It has groomed national and regional champions and high achievers in chess, football, art, and science and youth leadership. Crucially, it has empowered young women – from a section of society where they are still marginalized – to enter professional and public life.
Gender: Female only.
The incumbent will be part of Zindagi Trust’s Professional Development Team. The team works closely with Schools’ Project Managers, teachers and students at the schools, and program staff at the Head Office, who work together to build and sustain healthy, thriving, vision-driven schools. The team reports to the Head of Programs at Zindagi Trust.
Purpose and Scope:
Zindagi Trust envisions that all children at our schools and beyond attain an education through which they can transform their lives. Our vision for our schools is where students learn independently, develop a broader worldview and grow into kind, responsible, active and well-rounded citizens.
The role of the Professional Development Team is to design, introduce and support practical, hands-on, innovative teaching and learning practices that go beyond traditional norms and assumptions. These can be in shape of remixing existing strategies and creating new ones. As part of the team, the incumbent would be expected to enhance the capacity and performance of the kindergarten teachers. She will develop, implement, monitor and evaluate the policies, syllabus, training sessions, and a system of examination, which promote high achievement, effective teaching and learning in the subject area.
She would be expected to work with the ECE teachers of all the schools managed by Zindagi Trust with the help of an on-ground support team of subject coordinators. Subject Coordinators are government and/or privately hired teachers who are trained to work as coordinators.
- Curate and design curriculum, teaching tools and resources to teach the subject effectively
- Evaluate National and International Curriculums and adapt them as per the needs of the organization
- Organize and develop the subject area’s scope and sequence, and measure its effective impact on teaching and learning in the classroom
- Evaluate textbooks, learning materials, resources, audio-visual aids etc. for the subject area
- Work with other subject leads to develop linkages among subjects and link scheme of studies with the other subjects’
- Work with individual and/or small groups of teachers on content mastery, pedagogy, classroom management, designing learning experiences and reflection
- Co-teach and model innovative learning practices with subject coordinators and teachers
- Plan and deliver regular trainings for relevant subject teachers
- Develop a team of Subject Coordinators who can provide consistent support to teachers by:
- Helping them develop scheme of studies
- Helping them choose appropriate teaching tools and developing teaching resources.
- Undertaking frequent classroom observations followed by coordination meetings
- Re-checking exercise books and assessment papers.
- Reviewing lesson plans of subject teachers on weekly basis for continuous follow up and development in the subject area.
- Collect, analyze, and present data to track growth within the school
- Decide on attainment targets to overview child’s progression between year groups.
- Evaluate the teaching of subject across the school and use this analysis to report the management about effective practices, areas for improvement and future action plan
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools along with the rest of the team
- Develop institutional knowledge of best teaching and training practices through frequent documentation
- Undertake frequent and regular classroom observation to assess the implementation of the new strategies in subject area.
- Attends school events, meetings and presentations.
- Undertake any task which may reasonably be expected by the senior management and is commensurate with the role.
- Remains updated about developments in the Early Childhood Development System in terms of statutory requirements and the range of good practices available.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Teaching expertise in ECE classes.
- Strong collaboration skills, preferably with experience in cross-team coordination and facilitation of workgroups.
- Ability to communicate with staff having diverse skills, mindsets and expectations.
- Ability to work independently, analyze and solve problems in complex, unstructured systems and create action plans.
- Ability to analyze academic data; format, visualize and present it effectively through software.
- Belief in the ability of all students to achieve excellent academic and non-academic outcomes regardless of their socioeconomic background.
- Commitment to excellence and strong work ethic.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Masters Degree, along with specialization/ diploma in ECE from a recognized institution.
- Training and/or experience in ECE staff development and instructional design.
- 3-4 years’ teaching experience as an ECE Teacher.
- At least 3-4 years’ experience on an ECE lead/ coordinator level position.
How to apply:
Prospective candidates should send their CV to [email protected] with a cover letter describing how their previous experience fits within this role.